Tutor: Martin McAssey or Kate Billington.
Running time: 10am - 5pm
Saturday 2nd July
Sunday 3rd July
This is a one day Tiffany stained glass workshop based in Martin's studio at the learning centre at Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet in Sheffield. This workshop is for beginners as well as the more advanced student; the workshop is run with a maximum of eight students ensuring that each student receives individual attention. Each student has use of a workbench with all the tools and equipment they will need while taking part in the workshop. All patterns and materials such as glass and solder are supplied by Martin at no extra cost.
What will I make on the workshop?
You will have the opportunity to make a Tiffany stained glass window hanging. You will have the choice of a number of different patterns to choose from (see examples above), each window hanging measures 17cm x 17cm or 20cm x 12cm approximately.
What will I learn on the workshop?
You will learn all the basic skills needed to make a Tiffany stained glass window hanging such as:
• Scoring and breaking glass to fit a pattern.
• Selecting suitable glass.
• Grinding glass.
• How to apply copper foil tape to glass.
• Soldering (tacking / tinning and beading).
• Attaching support rings.
• Applying patinas.
• It is recommended that you bring reading glasses for close work.
• It is recommended that you wear sensible shoes (no open toed shoes) when attending the workshop.
• It is also recommended that you wear old clothes.
• This course involves working with lead, for safety reasons it is recommends that pregnant women do not attend.
What's included in the price?
All materials such as glass, lead and solder are provided by Martin at no extra cost.
Lunch is not available in Martin's studio, it is recommended that you bring your own lunch or that you purchase lunch at the cafe. Please note that the learning centre cafe is closed on Friday, teas and coffees are available through the day and a selection of cakes will be served at lunchtime.
If you would like to book a place on this workshop please use the Contact
section of this website.